Christmas morning. I woke up to two shadowy figures looming over our bed..."mom" "are you awake?" I am now! The moment before the opening of the presents is the best. I would like to just experience that and call it good sometimes. 
Skyping with our Scottish family on Christmas day. It was really fun to see everyone together. It almost felt like we were there!! Hopefully one of these days!
On the day we left for Papa's house for Thanksgiving, we found our first chicken casualty. :( One of the chickens had managed to fly around and get its neck caught in a bungie cord that was holding up one of our feeders. At first I couldn't figure it out...what?...how? Then I heard the voice of one of my friends echoing in my ears about chickens.."they really are dumber than you think." well, maybe. We were on a tight schedule with about ten minutes left before we had to head out to the ferry. How inconvenient of the chicken! If I were a REAL farmer, I would have slit it's neck and drained the blood. Some would consider that a gift from God! Thanksgiving meal without the guilt of killing it... but we didn't have time and I don't eat chicken, so she ended up in a garbage bag in our chest freezer. We would deal with it later.
I went a few weeks without opening our freezer. I even bought butter from the store when I knew that we had some already. I don't know what I was afraid of.. what to do with it I guess.
The answer came a few days ago when Ethan and I were out working in the garden, raking leaves, cleaning out the chicken coop etc. Ethan wanted to dig. I told him he could dig in the garden. Go for it!! Much to my surprise, he dug a hole that he could stand in. It was about up to his chest. I've never seen him work so hard outside!! Then it dawned on me! The chicken!! We could bury the chicken! It's not exactly what Ethan had in mind for his project, but it was a bonding experience and we shall see how well the garden grows this year!
on a lighter note... Ethan's tater tot Stonehenge
6 comments:
I love the picture of "star trek" Ron..... Really a good one..looks like he belongs in the star trek movies! XO auntie Vivmem
good looking chickens! A catastrophic chicken Christmas seems to have made the rounds this season! Gosh, that WAS one dumb chicken.
sweet picture of 'star trek' Papa and his boy..
haha.. 'Stonehenge tater tots'!.. creative imagination!
Happy New Year one and all!! XX
I've got a bag of roosters in the freezer and they will be crab bait next season... No hole here this time. when a chicken dies, we normally bury them.
I just realized Cpt.Ron was shooting his faser while the shot was taken. I hope no photographer was hurt in the interview!
It's cool to see how much Kira resembles Ronna and Ethan resembles Grant! They are growing up sooo fast! Love to you all!
Post a Comment